Tuesday, March 07, 2006

When I was your age... inflation calculator

This article has some good benchmarks on what the price of gold is.

Use the link to the Bank Of Canada's Inflation Calculator, we can get the present value of gold if it was purchased in a given year and only matched inflation.

If you bought gold in:

1933 @ 20.67 it would be worth $309.57 today.
1947 @ 35.00 would be worth $392. (That's up over 1000%, not as much as if you bought Gold Corp last year.)
1971 @ $41.17 would be worth $218.22.

Doing some backtesting, gold in 1933 would be worth $58.40 in 1971. Gold in 1947 would be $73.96 in 1971.
By my rough math, looking at $15-$20 increases over 20-40 years, we should be around... $100 today. Yes I'm just making that up. But why did I buy GLD at a high a few days ago anyway?

My theory as to why gold is going down over the last couple of days is because the gold bugs are all in Toronto at ...



Maybe when they get back to work, things will resume being bully.

Rather than investing in gold, maybe it makes more sense to invest in a gold-related job. There are 204 job postings at PDAC jobs, most of them in Ontario.

Well I been workin’ in a coal mine
Goin’ down down
Workin’ in a coal mine
Whew about to slip down
Five o’clock in the mornin’
I’m up before the sun
When my work day is over
I’m too tired for havin’ fun
Lord I am so tired
How long can this go on
I been workin’ goin’ workin’
Whew about to slip down


I recently received this email (to my surprise, since I'm not signed up with JobShark) that offered an amazing opportunity.

ACCENTURE CONSULTING LTD, pursuant to the service contract with
Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCO) in their
Bonga Field Development Project (BFDP), intends to Invite experienced
and reputable persons having prime experience and capable of providing
IT technical support services (as individuals or in a team).


Now Nigeria and email in the same sentence would usually raise some red flags for me, since I get 2-3 Dear. Mr. So And So your long lost uncle Dr. Whozawhat has your $20,000,000 emails per day from these guys. But this one was different.

It talked about some things I do at my current job:

Preparation of Business Impact Analysis, Stakeholder Analysis,
Organizational Risk Assessment/ systems audit, review across
infrastructure and platforms of the project, Communication Plan,
Sponsorship Plan and Education Requirements.
Liaising with IT and project teams in respect of the approval and
risk assessment on implementation and systems projects.
Advice on IT projects, risks and security matters.


And some things I don't currently do but could do:

1·Computer hardware installation and installation of selected
software.
2.Application development/maintenance for duration of contract.
3.System Engineering.
4.IT strategy and planning.
5.Comprehensive networking throughout pertinent project facilities


Especially if you look at the next paragraph.

Salary indication (individual) - (US$20 000.00 monthly).

Well then, where do I sign up?

This programme would be carried out within the Shell Nigeria Exploration
and Production Company (SNEPCO);


One of the people I work with is from Nigeria - when I told him about this he laughed and said I would last about 6 hours in Laos. Apparently the police aren't authorized to work at night....

It took over a week, but Jobshark caught on and finally sent a warning for this. I wonder how many people tried to apply so far?

Jobshark regrets that it may have sent you an "IT SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR"
opportunity from an organization called Accenture Consulting
(unrelated to Accenture Ltd). We have discovered that this
organization is fraudulent and its business practice is illegal. Please
do not apply to this position. The position has been removed from our
web site. Please do not submit any requested personal identification
information or funds for any reason.

We appologize for any inconvenience this have caused you. Please free to
contact us with any further questions or concerns.


Those 4-1-9 scammers are getting really creative. Next they will be advertising on iTunes or Google.

No comments: